Christian Old Cairo
Discover the ancient sites and culture of Coptic Christians on a private tour through Old Cairo. Visit Abu Serga where the Holy family sort refuge, and Ben Ezra, one of the oldest synagogues in Cairo. Learn about Christian life in Egypt, a country where Christianity is a minority.
The Hanging Church is built into the walls of the water gate of the Roman fortress and is possibly the oldest Christian church in Egypt. Dedicated to the Virgin Mary, it is one of Cairo's most beautiful churches. Continue to the Monastery and Church of St George This is not an old church, dating from 1909, but there has been a church in Coptic Cairo dedicated to the Martyr since the 10th-century. It is one of the few remaining circular churches in the Middle East.
Your next stop is the Abu Serga, one of the places where the Holy Family rested after fleeing Israel from King Herod. At the turn of the century this little church, which dates from the 10th-century, was the most important pilgrimage spot in Old Cairo for visiting Christian tourists. There are 24 marble columns lining the central court, and a series of 12th-century icons depicting the 12 apostles.
Ben Ezra Synagogue is one of the oldest in Egypt. Set in a shady garden, it was built on the site of 4th-century Christian church. The synagogue was severely damaged by Arabs after the 1967 war with Israel, but it has been almost completely renovated.
• Private tour of the Coptic sites of Cairo
• Learn about the history of Christianity in Egypt
• See the oldest Christian church in Egypt, The Hanging Church
• Visit Abu Serga, one of the places the Holy family rested when fleeing Israel
• Ben Ezra Synagogue, one of the oldest synagogues in Egypt
• Enjoy privileged, personalized attention from your expert Egyptologist guide on this special private tour
o Qualified Egyptologist guide
o Hotel pickup and drop off
o Transport by air conditioned vehicle
• Gratuities (recommended)
• Food and drinks, unless specified
, Cairo-CentreView Larger Map