My Guide Website?
From Cairo: Saqqara and Memphis Pyramids Tour
See the world’s oldest step pyramid at Saqqara, the vast, ancient burial ground of kings. Visit Memphis, the ancient capital of the Old Kingdom of Egypt. Your local guide will provide insights into the history and culture of ancient Egypt.
- See the legendary step pyramid at Saqqara
- Visit Memphis, the ancient capital of Lower Egypt and the Old Kingdom of Egypt
- Get a unique insight into the history and customs of Egypt from your local guide
- Choose between a shared group or private tour
DescriptionBefore the Great Pyramids of Giza, many Egyptian kings created vast and memorable monuments for their burial in the desert outside present-day Cairo. Visit these sites in historic Saqqara and Memphis, ancient Egyptian sites located around 18 miles south of Cairo on a shared group or private tour. Saqqara is a large and ancient burial ground that features the world's oldest standing step pyramid. Designed by Imhotep for King Djoser, the step pyramid is the oldest complete stone-hewn building complex known in history. It is surrounded by other small pyramids dating back to the 5th and 6th dynasties. Although Giza and the Valley of the Kings in Thebes eventually eclipsed Saqqara as the burial ground of royalty, Saqqara remained an important complex for burials and cult ceremonies for more than 3,000 years. You’ll continue on to Memphis, the ancient capital of Lower Egypt and of the Old Kingdom of Egypt from its foundation until around 2,200 B.C. The modern towns of Dahshur and Saqqara lie within the administrative borders of historical Memphis. Throughout the tour, your local guide will offer local insight into the culture and customs of Cairo and the surrounding area.
IncludesGuided shared group or private tour Local English-speaking guide Entrance fees to Saqqara and Memphis Transportation Local taxes and fees
- Children must be 6 years of age or older.
- Effective September 1, 2021, travelers aged 18+ must produce proof of COVID-19 vaccination on Intrepid Urban Adventures tours. Children aged 6-17 must present a negative COVID-19 test, proof of recovery, or proof of vaccination. View full policy at urbanadventures.com/vaccine.