My Guide Website?
Cairo: Private Half-Day Islamic Cairo-in-Depth Tour1 Reviews
Head to the heart of the Cairo's Islamic quarter for an in-depth half-day tour. Hear the stories behind the great leaders and builders of this enigmatic city, from Salah Ed-Din to Mohamed Ali, as "the city of a thousand minarets" comes alive before you.
- Explore the Citadel of Salah Ed-Din with impressive views over the bustling city of Cairo
- Marvel at 2 of the most significant mosques in the Egyptian history, Mohamed Ali and Sultan Hassan
- Navigate the chaotic streets of the Khan el-Khalili bazaar for a few bargains
DescriptionGet to know Cairo from the perspective of the Islam world on this half-day tour centered around the Islamic culture and influence in the city. Begin your tour with a visit to the Citadel of Salah Ed-Din. Located high atop Cairo, the Citadel boasts magnificent views of the city. Built by the Arab hero Salah ad-Din, the Citadel primarily functioned as a military garrison, as well as serving as a royal residence for over 700 years. Continuing in the historical traditions of Islamic Cairo, head to the famous Sultan Hassan Mosque, which dates back to the 13th century. Considered to be one of the masterpieces of Islamic art and architecture, its history also includes time spent as a school. Equally as impressive, the Mohamed Ali Mosque is one of Cairo’s most visible landmarks, with its twin minarets rising high atop the Citadel. Shifting gears, your Cairo tour heads back to the streets and toward a famous local bazaar, Khan el-Khalili. A labyrinth of narrow streets and passageways, Khan el-Khalili is one of the world’s largest bazaars, and offers a truly authentic local Cairo experience. Among the world’s oldest bazaars, dating back to 1382, Khan el-Khalili offers an experience unique to the old streets of Islamic Cairo, and affords the opportunity to engage with locals, as locals do, hunting for bargains and relaxing with a coffee as the hustle of the bazaar passes you by.
IncludesLocal English-speaking guide Entrance fees to Citadel of Saladin Transportation
- Child policy: children must be 6 years of age or older. This trip is offered on a 'join-in' basis. Maximum group size is 12.
- Effective September 1, 2021, travelers aged 18+ must produce proof of COVID-19 vaccination on Intrepid Urban Adventures tours. Children aged 6-17 must present a negative COVID-19 test, proof of recovery, or proof of vaccination. View full policy at urbanadventures.com/vaccine.